26 Jun Adv. Jon Cartu Publishes – Hippo Insurance | Bankrate
Hippo is a relatively new insurance carrier who sold its first insurance policy in 2017. Hippo partners with larger insurance companies to be able to offer a wide variety of coverage and to guarantee their policies. And while Hippo itself caters to smart home owners, its underwriting partners have years of experience in the traditional home insurance market.
Hippo’s standard homeowners policies include all the protection you need for your home and personal belongings, plus a handful of additional coverages that you can add to your policy for extra protection. And, to help you save some cash, Hippo comes through again with a wide selection of excellent discounts.
But what about the company’s unusual name? Well, they just like it.
Hippo home insurance:
As the new kid on the block, Hippo has tough competition in the home insurance market. The provider delivers outstanding standard coverages and loads of discounts to reduce your premium.
Types of coverage:
We requested a quote for a standard homeowners policy for a property in Nashville, Tennessee, and were pleasantly surprised to find that the $986 annual policy included all the standard coverages you’d expect, including:
- Dwelling coverage to repair or rebuild your home following a covered peril such as a fire or storm.
- Extended replacement cost coverage to rebuild your home at current market prices. This extra feature calculates the replacement cost at 25% of your dwelling coverage, which should provide ample protection for most homes.
- Liability coverage to help pay your legal expenses if someone sues you following an accident that occurs on your property.
- Loss of use coverage to pay your living expenses if you and your family are displaced from your home due to a covered loss.
- Ordinance coverage, which pays the additional cost of rebuilding your home to current building code following a covered loss.
- Other structures coverage pays to repair or rebuild detached structures, like detached garages, fences and gazebos.
- Medical payments coverage to pay the medical expenses of someone who sustains an injury while visiting your home.
- Personal property coverage to replace items such as clothing, furniture and electronics following a covered disaster.
- $8,000 in desktop and laptop computer coverage: Standard policies offered by most providers limit computer coverage to $1,500 to $2,500. While you can often increase coverage, or add a rider for expensive computer gear, Hippo’s default coverage provides the level of protection many households need.
- $8,000 in home office coverage: Again, many carriers provide minimal home office coverage and offer more extensive protection through optional riders, but Hippo includes a generous home office limit standard.
- $5,000 in sump pump and water backup coverage: This valuable coverage covers damages caused by disasters such as sewer and drain backups. Many carriers only offer water backup coverage as an option.
- All Hippo home insurance policies also include a smart home monitoring system at no additional cost, available only in eligible states.
These coverages are a critical part of all homeowners policies, but Hippo goes the extra mile by including enhanced coverages that you can add to your policy, including:
- Optional equipment breakdown coverage: The quote we received offered up to $100,000 in coverage to pay for electrical and mechanical breakdowns of home appliances up to 15 years old. Hippo offers the coverage for as little as $5.63 per…